Monday, January 14, 2013

Words & Walls

 
I'm not very good at speaking words.
I get this awkward knot in my throat and my hands become
clammy as I stumble over the words
that seem to spew out of my mouth before my mind processes them.
 
I do much better at writing words.
I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I can think
about what it is I'm trying to say and I'm able to re-read
what I have written. 
If it doesn't sound just right
I can
erase and re-write it, quite simple.
 
But once you speak something, there is no erasing.
It's out there, it's so final.
 
Our words have power!
 
In the book of proverbs it says that
"death and life are in the power of the tongue."
 
We can lift someone up or tear them down with our words!
 
Written words have power also.
 
As I was reading over some of the entries in my journal from the year 2012,
 I re-visited the good and the bad times
of last year. 
I smiled as I read the happy memories
and winced at some of the
not so happy ones.
 
I re-visited the joy that I felt during the good times.
I could almost hear the laughter as I read
about birthday parties,
picnics, playdates and trips.
 
I also remembered the hurt and disappointment
that I have felt over the course
of last year
as I read through
some of the not so happy memories.
 
Words can hurt.
 
As I went to the Lord in prayer,
I asked the Lord
to help me with my words,
help me not to discourage others
and forgive me for the times that I have.
My heart has been completely shattered by words
from ones that I love
and
unfortunately, I regret to say that my words
haven't always been kind or uplifting
either.

Help us God with our words! 
 
In my prayer time tonight, the Lord spoke
in a still, small voice
 
"you have built walls."
 
As I layed on my bed, I felt a tugging at my heart.
 
 The Lord reminded me
of the
Walls of Jericho.
 
I looked it up in reference and it says this...
 
A defensive wall of the city.
 
A Defensive Wall!
 
"Yes Lord, I have built walls!"
 
I suppose I felt that I had a right to be defensive, to build these walls,
to protect my self
from hurt feelings and disappointment.
 
Oh but be careful my friends,
the enemy can be sly and we can allow ourselves
to be bound
by defense and
become busy building walls
around ourselves.
 
So busy building walls that
we aren't operating outside our own walls any longer.
We may say a word to someone in passing
but no longer
going out of our way to
speak or get involved in anything.
 
We isolate ourselves because we want to stay
protected!
We don't want to be the least bit
vulnerable,
that way we don't get hurt any more.
 
I don't know about you
but I've been there, I'm there!
 
We can no longer operate in the liberty and peace of God
when we are so bound up
in the walls that we have built for our selves.
 
The walls can be depression.
The walls can be insecurity.
The walls can be oppression.
 
They can be anything that you struggle with.
 
Don't get me wrong, we all have struggles, we're all human
and we all have what I call
"down days"
but there is a big difference in a
"down day"
and building
defensive walls!
 
Tonight on my knee's during prayer time, I had to
make a choice.
 
Do I want to continue to reside in
the walls of my defense?

or

Will I
march like the children of Israel did around those Walls of Jericho?
Will I call out His name and cry aloud
with the voice of victory
and allow
the Lord to cause my walls
to crumble?
 
When the Walls of Jericho came crashing down,
the Israelites crossed over
and possessed the land
that the Lord
had promised them!
 
I want to cross over to the promised land
and be free once again!
 
I no longer want to be isolated and bound up.
 
Will you come with me?
 
I'm ready to march, are you?
 
Will you call out to Him and allow the Lord
to cause your walls to
crumble?
 
I can see the Land of Freedom, just over the wall I've built.
Can you see it?
 
 
 
C'mon, let's live in freedom, friends!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Amen sister Racheal, I to have built walls, and didnt even really relize it until just now, I will pray with all my heart that the Lord will help you to nock your wall down and please pray that I can do the same! Thank you for your blog and listening to what the Lord wants you to do!! Love you Sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers, I'll be Praying for you Jennifer! Love ya lots!!!

      Delete